First Pres in the 10/40 Window
The 10/40 Window is a geographical region located 10 degrees to 40 degrees latitude north of the equator, spanning from the west coast of Africa to the east coast of Asia. As First Pres members who “pursue and share Gospel-driven lives,” here are some ways our partnership with Women in the Window international is helping us do just that within the 10/40 window:
- India is becoming increasingly hostile to women. Women are persecuted because of their gender as well as their faith, if they are disciples of Christ. Women in the Window provides advocacy tools to help them understand their rights before God and mankind.
- Through their WiW regional associates and teams who trained 3,000 women in 2019 alone!
- Nepal Christians are less than 1.5% of the population. Women in the Window brought servant leadership training to 87 women leaders from both urban and village settings early December 2019. The women embraced this training and have already multiplied it to other women in their communities.
- Widows and refugees in Sub-Saharan Africa experience transformation in each setting as they learn how to advocate for their own God-given rights. Their dignity and purity is protected as a result of the WiW Trainings offered. Many plan to start their own micro-enterprise soon. This will directly impact their ability to both protect themselves and share the Good News of the Gospel with others on their refugee camps, in their community of widows or wherever God leads them. The widows trained in November plan to multiply this training to twice as many widows in early 2020.
Women in the Window has discovered much about the 10/40 window while working there, such as:
- At least 56 nations, making up more than two-thirds of the world’s population - 4.4 billion people - live in the window which consists of one-third of the world’s land mass.
- 90% of the world’s least-reached peoples live here. Because of the prominence of Islam, Hinduism and Animism, and their often hostile treatment of Christians, creative access with the Gospel is necessary.
- 85% of the poorest of the poor live here – those who live on less than $1.90 per day.
- In the 10/40 Window, women and girls receive less health care, less food, and substantially less education.
- Women are often most responsive to the Gospel and first to share the Good News!